Thursday, March 3, 2011

Craiger Boone Potter

We were SO shooting for a March baby. Every single one of our kids have been born in the month before their due date month. I thought for sure we'd make it this time. Plus we already have 3 birthdays right in a row in February. . . well. . . now we have 4. This little stinker couldn't wait one more second to come into the world.

Sunday night I was feeling my contractions. They weren't painful at all, but I could feel them which made me happy since I've always been oblivious to them. Since they didn't hurt, I didn't want to go to the hospital, but after a prayer I was prompted to go. We packed up the kiddos & got them to their friends' houses & situated in case this really was it. Then we drove to the hospital wondering what was going to happen.


We explained my history & they already had my file out & ready to go. They had been "warned" about me. ha ha ha. They hooked me up to monitors & watched my labor for about an hour. I was only dilated to 4 cm & my contractions weren't very big so I thought for SURE they were going to send me home after the hour. But the nurse came in & told me they were putting in my IV. I was totally confused & asked why & she told me she called my doctor & he told her not to let me leave that hospital without a baby in my arms. (I love my doctor!)

So they drew blood, put in the IV, & started me on antibiotics for my heart. They made up a bed for Trek & we started a VERY LONG NIGHT that I will remember for a while. I was up all night as the contractions got to 2 minutes apart. Though they still weren't "painful" by 7 am the next morning, they were definitely annoying. I didn't sleep AT ALL that night & since I had gotten up at 3 am the day before because of being uncomfortable I was now pulling 28 hours without sleep. I was exhausted already. The nurse checked me again & I was now at 6 cm. She called Dr. Walker & he came in to see how I was doing. He took one look at me & said, "Let's have a baby!" He popped my water at 7:30. And then it hit me. . .

"PAIN!"

It was that same pain that got me going to the hospital with both Taya & Bladen. . . the pain you feel when you know the baby is going to pop out any second. But NO, I was like that for 2 1/2 hours as it got worse & worse & worse. I was SO chicken about getting an epidurral because I'm so scared of needles, but the nurse could see I was passing out during every contraction because I was past the point of exhaustion. I needed the epidurral so I could push the baby out. So the anesthesiologist came in & put in the epidurral. It wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be, but it also didn't take away the pain like I thought it was supposed to. Yes, it took the "edge" off (so I wouldn't pass out), but I could still feel PAIN! Less than 20 minutes after getting the epidurral I could feel the baby in the birth canal & my body wanted to push. (I thought you weren't supposed to be able to feel all that with an epidurral!) The doctor ran in & within 2 minutes I was holding my little guy. It was the most painful delivery I've ever had, which is strange to me since I did have the epidurral, but none of that matters now. I had my new little man & he was healthy & that's all that mattered.


I always love it when they first give you your baby. . . all sticky & gooey. You don't even care; all you can think about is hugging & kissing his face off. I had so much joy in my heart as I pulled him up close to me.


Craiger Boone Potter - February 28th, 2011 - 7 pounds - 20 1/2 inches long


Craiger was a skinny little guy, but very tall. He looks an awful lot like his big brother Bladen, but he has a different look about him too. He is a little different than the rest of my kids. I might actually have a kid that looks like me. HOORAY!



I love holding my new little ones as they try to see the new world around them. I just hope I make them feel safe & warm in their new environment.




Craiger has such wrinkly red skin & looks like an old bald man. He's so cute!! I have to kiss him all day long because he's just that cute.








Trek went & picked up all the girls after school got out so they could come & meet their new little brother. Taya was an "insta-mommy." She couldn't wait to hold her new baby brother. She was SO sweet with him.


Bladen had a harder time. When he saw that baby in my arms, he turned around & wouldn't look at me or the baby for the rest of his visit. I know it has to be hard for such young kiddos to understand. To him, he just lost his "girlfriend" so I'm sure after a week or two, he'll warm up to his new play buddy & all will be well in the world again.


Lorien couldn't wait to meet her brother. She is such a loving little girl. What a sweetheart.


Poor Trekkie is sick right now, so we didn't get a lot of pics of him holding his new little guy. He is more focused on not getting him sick which I know is SO HARD for him because he just wants to hug & cuddle him as much as I do.



Cadence is a pro when it comes to playing "mommy" to new baby siblings. After all, she's had the most experience so far. She is so sweet to Craiger. I love how my kids already love the new addition to the family.


Once daddy picked up the baby, Bladen couldn't run to me fast enough. I guess he just needs to know that his "girlfriend" is still there for him. We had some mommy son time & things started to be "okay" in the world again.




The kids bought Craiger a monkey toy in the gift shop. Now we're all calling Craiger "Monkey" because of it. I think they might get the credit for the little guy's nickname.


I still can't believe I am the mother of five kids. Four didn't sound so big, but five sounds enormous. Yup, I've got 5 kids.



I love how I have 2 boys now. I never thought I'd ever get boys after 3 girls. I love my little men.





Trek took the kids home & I got to spend my first night as mommy to Craiger all alone with him which I LOVED!! I was up all night kissing & cuddling my new little guy. Life doesn't get much better than that.








Tuesday morning, daddy brought Taya & Bladen over to hang out until I got discharged from the hospital. Bladen loved on me all morning (while Craiger was getting circumcised).


Taya basically sat around & waited for the nurses to bring me juice. . . then she'd drink it all gone. She is HILARIOUS!


Finally, at noon. . . . it was time to go home with our new bundle of joy!

2 comments:

  1. Dani, Congrats on your new little addition! He is so cute! You are so tough, giving birth is hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have 3 girls and turning 34. My husband is 39. I would love to have 2 boys too. Did you do anything different when you conceived your boys. I would love to know.

    ReplyDelete