Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Snow Days

So in Virginia if it snows everything shuts down.  I remember last winter we got 1/8 of an inch of snow & school was cancelled that day.  I found it crazy since I've grown up in places that have snowed feet at a time & I was still expected to be to school/work on time.  I do understand they have to do that because there are no plows here & no machines to salt the roads.  If it does snow, there is nothing anyone can do until it melts.  And the ice here is dangerous.  And who doesn't love a "declared" snow day?

So, when they told us we'd be getting snow so be prepared to stay in your homes for a week, I laughed.  Sure enough, Wednesday morning we got a dusting of snow & everything shut down.  It wasn't terrible, maybe 3 inches.  You could still see the grass poking out.  We stayed home & had a blast drinking cocoa, watching movies, playing games.  I enjoyed it as much as the kids did.  We went outside & played a little, but there wasn't enough snow for any snowmen.  I thought for sure there would be school on Thursday.  Nope.  Friday?  Nope.  School was cancelled for THREE DAYS for 3 inches of snow.  It's insane!  By the time Sunday rolled around, the kids were itching to get back in the old routine.  Taya was crying to be back in school with her friends again.  I've never been so happy to get them on the bus in my life when Monday morning rolled around.


So Monday was a glorious day.  Then Tuesday came.  We got phone calls from the school telling us the kids would be getting home at noon instead of 4:30.  Yikes.  Why?  Yup, more snow is on the way.  Wednesday morning we woke up to THIS:


Now THIS my friends is what you call SNOW!
We got eight full inches & it was glorious!  Oh man the kids were excited.


They played for HOURS outside.  They never built a snowman, but they built a snow palace & pretended to be Elsa from Frozen.  They put it on the slide & slid down, they made snow angels, they were in heaven.






We even made SNOW CREAM:

8 cups snow
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups milk or cream (or chocolate milk if you want chocolate snow cream)



Once again, school was cancelled for 3 full days.  The kids were sick of it after 2 days.  But I'm really glad we got one really good snow this year.  But I will admit, I secretly have my fingers crossed that we won't have any more snow this year!  

It feels great having the kids back to school again!

No comments:

Post a Comment